Friday, July 23, 2021

Happy Horse Haus Motel - Rapid City, South Dakota

 


We decided to switch locations to facilitate making repairs on our trailer, so we moved into Rapid City, near the Camping World where repairs will be done. 


The horses each have a large run with cover, which they definitely prefer over the 10 x 10 pens at Hay Creek. They now have a place to hide in the shade and from the rain.
Happy Horse Haus is located east of Rapid City and about 10 miles from the Camping World.
The service guy at Camping World assured us that he would have the repairs done by the end of the day. I was skeptical. I wasn't sure they would have the parts, so after we moved to Happy Horse Haus, I contacted SMC, our trailer manufacturer, and asked them to overnight us the replacement parts. This was another reason for the move. The lack of cell reception and internet at our campsite made it almost impossible for me to make these types of arrangements. 
Around 4 pm, the service department tells us they don't have the parts and weren't able to complete the repairs. Plus, they have disassembled the tanks and plumbing, so if we spent the night in the trailer, we couldn't use any of the plumbing - no water for cooking or cleaning or toilet. 
So, we told them to keep the trailer overnight and we would have to scramble for shelter.
I asked our host at Happy Horse Haus. She has a bunk house which is basically bare bones, with a toilet and shower, but it wasn't prepared for guests.
I belong to four different hotel chain reward clubs due to all my business travel. I was astonished at the prices for hotel rooms- starting at $250/night at a Motel 6 and going up to $700/night at a Hilton. This is Rapid City, folks, not New York, Boston, San Francisco, or Hawaii. I know we are in the height of tourist season, but the prices were astounding. In contrast, we normally pay around $70/night for a campsite and corrals for our horses.
I looked at cabins at local campgrounds and there was zero availability on a THURSDAY night.
We ended up at an Econolodge. Some place I normally pay around $70/night when I am on the road and we are paying around $260 for one night.
I don't know if the prices are due to the extra cleaning they have to do because of COVID or because of the lack of employees. Every business in South Dakota has a help wanted sign up. Every single one. Many of the stores and restaurants are on reduced hours, simply because they don't have enough staff to open. We went to a Chili's yesterday and they are closed THREE days per week because they don't have enough servers. If you are looking for work, come to South Dakota. It is a beautiful state and you will find a job.
I am seeing a lot of retirees getting hired simply because they are bored and, while they may not need the money, they want to pitch in and try to help the local businesses.
The Camping World service department just called me to tell me they haven't been able to locate the parts to make the repairs, so I am crossing my fingers that this morning's package has everything they need to make it work.
Otherwise, we may be moving into the bunkhouse at the Happy Horse Haus for the duration.
Ari says this is like Tombstone all over again when we were stuck waiting for the axle parts and repairs.


No comments:

Post a Comment