Sunday, June 28, 2020

The Happy Hooves Motel - Anderson, California


I was driving to the Happy Hooves Horse Motel and stopped when I came to this narrow bridge. After the fiasco with the awning, I am feeling a little tender over the prospect of driving through narrow and tight spaces. So, Ari swapped places with me and he drove over the bridge just fine. Phew!

The bridge passes over this picturesque little creek. It is just darling and it somehow hinted at what it would be like staying at the Happy Hooves Horse Motel.
In addition to being a horse motel, the place is a tortoise sanctuary. They care for rare and injured or abused tortoises.

When I went into the LQ (living quarters) after we had unloaded the horses, I discovered that one of the cabinets had opened up during our drive and several cans and bottles had fallen on the floor. A jar of sauce broke and so we had sauce all over the floor as well as the containers. Lesson learned. I am now putting a hair tie over the cabinet knobs and hopefully that will hold them shut.  Otherwise, I will have to get something stronger. 
While I restored our kitchen to order and cleanliness, Ari took a tour of the sanctuary with the owner, Ken. Ken is just wonderful. He is a real sweetheart and he enjoys sharing his experiences. He obviously loves animals - all kinds - and the animals love him back. He showed us a video of one of the tortoises following him around like a dog. 
While Ari got the grand tour of the sanctuary and I was wiping down cans and cleaning up spillage, our horses enjoyed a large arena.
Ken stopped by our trailer afterwards and one of his dogs hung out in the trailer while we chatted. Ken breeds and shows dogs as well as horses.
To add to our list of Things That Go Wrong, one of the electrical outlets on the side of the trailer has no power. Ari uses the outlet to provide power to our Bale Bucker.  I have reported the issue to SMC and hopefully they get back to me in the next day or so with ideas on how to get it fixed. Maybe it can get fixed at the same time we do the awning repair.

On the agenda for tomorrow:
Wake up
Feed the horses
Ari follows Ken to a repair shop and see if the shop can figure out what is wrong with the oil pressure gauge. Ken gives Ari a ride back to Happy Hooves. 
Ari & I go on a trail ride and check out the local trails.
Lunch
Pick up the Truck
Load up and make our first virgin trip to a dump station...
Our gray water tank is already 2/3 full. Ari is upset with me because I filled up the tank cleaning the dishes and prepping our meals. We are living in the COVID-19 times so I spend a lot of time cleaning and sanitizing. This needs water. Plus I used water to clean the floor from the sauce spillage. We are only on Day Two and we already need to go to a dump station. This does not bode well for us. I need to figure out how to be more conservative with water usage and still keep everything clean. We aren't able to shower and believe me when I say - it has been almost 100 degrees and we have been doing some serious exercise taking care of the horses and organizing the LQ - we both need a shower. We are using a wet wash cloth right now to clean up a bit...but a shower is scheduled for tomorrow one way or the other. It won't be a great shower, but I hope to get at least one layer of sweat off my skin.
If we don't get the truck back tomorrow, we will stay one more night and have to wait one more day for a shower. Ack! 

I have broken two nails already trying to open the latches on this trailer.  At some point I need a couple of hours to make repairs. Ari says he is breaking nails as well...but his nails are short and nobody is looking at his nails. 

Our next stop is supposed to be Shasta Trinity Forest....I want to call the ranger tomorrow and make sure we can get our humongous behemoth into a campground. 










No comments:

Post a Comment