Thursday, March 25, 2021

Recovering from Surgery - a Lesson in Waiting

 Surgery went off without a hitch. We spent Tuesday night with our niece, Dayna, since she lives close to the hospital. Ari dropped me off at the hospital around 8 in the morning and I was back at Dayna's house by 4 pm the same day.

The doctor put a soft cast on my foot to discourage me from putting any weight on it. I have been spending most of my day in bed as it hurts when the foot isn't elevated. 


I was asked to brush my teeth prior to surgery and was given a small tube of toothpaste and this disposal toothbrush made from corn starch. Prisoners at Folsom can purchase a similar toothbrush from the commissary.  The idea is that it can't be used as a weapon because the corn starch basically crumbles. 
Dayna explained that they wanted me to brush my teeth because they put a tube in my throat during the surgery. Brushing my teeth cuts down the risk of infection from the tube.
The doctor put a soft cast on my foot to discourage me from putting any weight on it. I have been spending most of my day in bed as it hurts when the foot isn't elevated. 
I use the mobility scooter when I am not in bed.

Dayna's dogs provided us with plenty of comfort during our stay. Rico is the new pit bull puppy and he liked cuddling in our laps. Sammy is the Doberman.

A week post-surgery...my foot is still really swollen and I am still in pain most of the time. The scribble on my foot is from the surgeon to make sure he cuts the correct foot.
Stitches come out in another week.

I have been tracking the arrival of our replacement axles on Fed Ex. Apparently, they are playing tourist in Arizona as they are sitting in Tucson - about an hour from here - and have been sitting there for almost a week. Ari wants me to call FedEx and ask why the parts haven't moved. I don't really see the point of calling as I assume they were shipped freight, which means they are going to be slow to move. Ari has the option of driving up to Tucson, getting the parts and completing the delivery himself - which we might do, if they don't move soon.











No comments:

Post a Comment